If you’re lucky enough to have a pond in your garden, then you want to keep it clean and free of any debris. The best way to do this is by using a pond vacuum.
Pond vacuums will help to clear your pond of any debris. This will ensure your filtration system works properly and will also prevent harm from occurring to any fish in your pond.
I’ve compiled some of the best pond vacuums currently available in the UK. I’ll look at the pros and cons of each model as well as their key features, so you can make the best decision possible.
You can go directly to the product page for any of the vacuums on the list by clicking the link next to them below. You can also click the ‘check price’ button next to each one.
Top 5 Best Pond Vacuum Cleaner Reviews UK
- Top Choice – PondHero Sludge Muncher Pond Vacuum 1400W Motor
- Runner Up – PondMaster Pond Vacuum 1400w
- Most Powerful – Oase Pondovac 4 Pond Vacuum
- Best For Koi Fish – Koi Fish Pond Vacuum Cleaner & Dirt Collector Bag Kit 8500 L/H
- Top Budget Pick – First4spares 30L Pond Vacuum Cleaner
1. Top Choice – PondHero Sludge Muncher Pond Vacuum 1400W Motor
- Powerful 1400W motor
- Can be used indoors
- 2m hose depth
- May not be suitable for larger ponds
The PondHero Sludge Muncher Pond Vacuum is my top choice and it packs plenty of power for such a compact unit while being incredibly affordable.
It comes with a 1400W electric motor, giving you plenty of suction power. The 2m hose length means it’s suitable for most small to medium ponds too. A great feature of this vacuum is that you can use it indoors too, so you get two appliances for the price of one.
This vacuum is very light and easy to move around and doesn’t make too much noise, which is always a bonus. Included in the box are the vacuum itself as well as 3 different attachments, the hose and a discharge bag.
This comes with free delivery for all customers.
Overall: This is an excellent pond vacuum that has plenty of power, is easy to use and is very affordable too.
2. Runner Up – PondMaster Pond Vacuum 1400w
- 1400W power
- 3 attachments for different pond shapes
- Automatic discharge
- Wouldn’t be suitable for large ponds
- Fairly short power cable
The PondMaster Pond Vacuum 1400W is another excellent option if you’re looking to get rid of dirt and debris from your pond.
It has a 1400W motor, just like the PondHero model, which gives you enough power to easily use it on small to medium ponds. It has a depth of 2m and a 35-litre volume, which is plenty for most ponds. It also has an automatic discharge feature so you don’t have to worry about it getting too full.
The main unit comes on swivel wheels, which make it very easy to move around. There are also 3 different nozzles included, allowing you to use this vacuum on any shape of pond.
One downside of this vacuum is that it has quite a short power cable of 4m. This means you would need to have it fairly close to a power supply to use it. It comes with a 2-year warranty and free delivery for everyone.
Overall: This would make an excellent choice of vacuum for small or medium ponds. It has enough power to get the job done well and is simple and easy to operate.
3. Most Powerful – Oase Pondovac 4 Pond Vacuum
- Two-chamber suction system
- 1700W electric motor
- 2.4 m suction hose length
The Oase Pondovac 4 Pond Vacuum is the most powerful of the vacuums on this list and would make a good choice if you have a larger pond and vacuum it regularly.
It has a 1700W electric motor, giving you a considerable amount of suction power. It also has a hose that can reach a depth of 2.4m as well as 5 different nozzle attachments, enabling you to clean every part of your pool.
The Pondovac 4 is the mid-range model in this series. There’s also a Pondovac 3 and a Pondovac 5, which has more power and greater depth. This is on the more expensive side for a pond vacuum but you get considerably more power than a lot of cheaper vacuums.
This vacuum comes with a 2-year guarantee as standard and an additional year of cover if you fill out the included form. If you’re an Amazon Prime member, you get free delivery.
Overall: This vacuum provides all the power you’d want for tackling more challenging jobs. The 1700W motor and the two-chamber suction system do an excellent job of ridding ponds of dirt and debris.
4. Best For Koi Fish – Koi Fish Pond Vacuum Cleaner & Dirt Collector Bag Kit 8500 L/H
- 3.7m maximum suction depth makes it suitable for very deep ponds
- Variety of brush heads
- Large waste collection bag
- 135W is fairly low power for a vacuum
The Koi Fish Pond Vacuum Cleaner and Dirt Collector is the best choice if you have a koi fish pond.
It comes with a hose that can reach 3.7m down, a lot longer than any of the other vacuums I’ve covered so far. When you consider this also comes with a variety of brush heads and the fact that it’s designed so you’re able to reach the most difficult spots, it’s a very versatile and capable machine that’s perfect for koi pond owners.
The dirt collection bag is very large and makes it easy to dispose of the waste once you’re done cleaning. It’s very easy to assemble and once it’s set up, it’s lightweight and portable, so you’re easily able to move it around your garden as you need.
This vacuum isn’t eligible for Amazon Prime but this is no issue since it comes with free delivery for all customers anyway
Overall: The depth this vacuum can reach makes it an ideal choice if you have a very deep pond. The range of accessories included and the portable design also make it very practical to use making pond cleaning a breeze.
5. Top Budget Pick – First4spares 30L Pond Vacuum Cleaner
- Very affordable
- Easy to move around
- Full-extension kit included
- Not as high quality as more expensive models
If you’re on a budget and looking for a cheap and cheerful pond vacuum, then the First4spares 30L Pond Vacuum Cleaner is worth considering.
It has a 1400W motor, so you get a good amount of power and it also comes included with 4 attachable heads, enabling you to clean hard-to-reach crevices. It’s capable of holding 30 litres of water and the filtration system pumps clean water back into your pool after sucking up the dirty water.
Some reviewers did have problems with the filter and suction on this vacuum, so this is worth bearing in mind before you purchase.
Overall: This is quite a solid vacuum for the price, but if you’re looking for something with higher build quality, it might be worth investing a little more to get a truly clean pond.
What is a Pond Vacuum?
A pond vacuum is a type of vacuum that’s designed specifically for clearing ponds of any debris or dirt that might have accumulated. They suck up the dirty water so you can dispose of it directly down the drain, or with some models, they collect the waste in a bag.
Advantages of a Pond Vacuum
There are some key advantages of owning a pond vacuum. These include –
- Keep your pool looking great – A pool is a great addition to a garden and they’re often a focus and talking point. However, if your pool is full of gunk, then it’s not going to look as good as it might. Using a pond vacuum on it when needed will help to ensure it stays looking good at all times.
- Keep your fish healthy – Most people will have at least a few fish in their pond and unfortunately, they can suffer or even die, if the pool becomes too dirty. You can ensure that the fish and other wildlife in your pond stay healthy by cleaning it with a vacuum.
- Makes it much easier to clean – Cleaning a pond without the use of a vacuum would be a very arduous and messy job. With a vacuum, you can easily remove the dirt and debris from your pond with minimum fuss and without having to get your hands dirty.
What to Look For in a Pond Vacuum
Some of the key features to look for in a pond vacuum include –
- Hose length – Hose length is an important thing to take into account. Pond sizes can vary a lot and if you have a deep pond, then you’re going to need a hose that’s long enough to clean it properly. A lot of vacuums come with extensions so you’re easily able to get the right length of hose. Also, you might want to look out for an algae nozzle.
- Size and weight – The size and weight of a vacuum is another thing to consider. Generally, the bigger a vacuum is, the more powerful it will be. If you have a very large pond and need a lot of power, then a heavier and larger model might be required. If you only have a small pond though, a more compact and lightweight model should suffice.
- Power – Corded pond vacuums will usually run on an electric motor, but they don’t all have the same power output. If you have a large pond or will be using the vacuum for commercial purposes, then it’s recommended that you choose a model with a higher watt motor.
- Waste discharge – You can choose from a vacuum that has an automatic or manual discharge. A manual discharge will give you control over when the waste is discharged from the unit whereas a vacuum with an automatic discharge will have a sensor that detects when it’s full and discharge on its own.
- Price – Price is certainly an important thing to think about since it can vary a lot depending on the type of vacuum you get. When you’re deciding on how much to spend, you should think about the requirements you have and how often you’re likely to use the vacuum. If you can get by with a smaller, cheaper model, then there’s no reason to invest heavily.
- Warranty – Any good pond vacuum should come with a warranty, whether it’s from the manufacturer or retailer. Generally, a good length for a warranty on this type of equipment is 2 years.
Are pond vacuums good?
There are a lot of good pond vacuums on the market, but as with any type of gardening equipment, there are also models that aren’t so good. Be sure to do research and read reviews so you can make an informed decision.
Can I use a wet and dry vac for a pond vacuum?
You can technically use a wet and dry vac but it’s usually better if you can use a pond vacuum since they’re specially designed for the job.
When should you use a pond vacuum?
The best time to use a pond vacuum is towards the end of summer or beginning of autumn. At this time, any wildlife such as dragonflies or tadpoles will have finished breeding and won’t accidentally be sucked up with the dirt when you vacuum.
Can you clean a water feature?
Certainly can! It might be overkill but you could certainly use a pond vacuum to clean up a water feature. as long as the power cord can reach your house that is!
Other Pond Vacuum Reviews
Jebao PC-1 Garden Pond Vacuum Cleaner Sludge Silt and Algae Remover
- Lightweight and compact
- Energy saving
- Fairly low powered compared to a lot of vacuums
- Quite expensive
The Jebao PC-1 Garden Pond Vacuum Cleaner gives you a way to effectively remove sludge, leaves and stones from your pond, ensuring it looks at its best at all times.
It has a 250W motor, which is admittedly quite low, but it still does a good job of sucking the dirty water out of the pond. The telescopic handle also makes it easy to reach deep down into your pool to clean the harder to reach spots.
It has a maximum height of 5 metres and a flow rate of 6000L per hour, so you could quite easily take on large build-up with this vacuum. It comes with free delivery if you have Prime.
Overall: This would make a good choice of vacuum if you’re looking for something that’s easy to set up and operate and doesn’t cost too much to run.
PondXpert Aquavac Manual Pond Vacuum and muck vac
- 6’2” telescopic tube
- Easy to use
- 12-month guarantee
- Might not be powerful enough for larger pools
- Included strainer bag is very small
The PondXpert Aquavac Manual Pond Vacuum is a very simple and easy to use device that’s perfect for smaller ponds where you don’t need too much power or additional features.
It’s a manual vacuum, meaning there’s nothing to plug and no need for any batteries or charger. You simply place the tube into your pond and use the handle on top to suck up the dirty water. It has a bicycle pump motion that allows you to get the dirty water up from the bottom of your pond through and through the discharge hose.
It comes with the pump itself as well as a strainer bag, although this is very small compared to a lot of other vacuums. You can also use this pump for swimming pools and hot tubs.
You get a 12-month guarantee included and it comes with free delivery for all customers.
Overall: This would make a good choice of vacuum if you’re looking for something inexpensive and easy to use as a pond cleaner.
Aqua Forte Vacuum Cleaner XL Pond Vacuum Cleaner Black/Blue
- Telescopic handle
- Easy to move around
- 10m suction hose
- powerful suction
- Is a considerable weight
- Very expensive
Lastly, is the Aqua Forte Vacuum Cleaner XL. It is a highly capable and powerful pond vacuum that’s suitable for use on pools of most sizes.
It has 1400W of power and the included suction hose can be used up to a depth of 2.5m. As well as the hose and suction nozzle, this vacuum also comes with a pre-filter bag that catches all the debris as you suck the dirty water up. This bag is very easy to remove and empty as needed.
At 19kg, it is very heavy, although the larger handle on the front and the swivel wheels mean you’re able to move it around reasonably easily.
Overall: This is a very solid vacuum overall and is capable of removing any dirt or debris from a pool with minimal fuss.
Having a good pond vacuum is a great way to keep your pond in the best condition possible. Accumulated dirt can easily cause problems that will get worse if ignored, so using a pond vacuum at least once a year is a great idea.
Vacuuming your pond isn’t easy so hopefully, you feel better informed about the different features of pond vacuums now and feel like you can make a good decision on which model is right for you!