Does your Dyson filter need a thorough clean up? If it does, then this detailed guide is a must-read. Learn how to clean Dyson filter and improve your device’s performance.
Are you using a Dyson vacuum and wondering how to clean its filter? We heavily rely on vacuum cleaners for our day-to-day cleaning. So, there is a high chance of the filters getting clogged or damaged over a period of usage.
Mostly, it is recommended to clean a Dyson HEPA filter (high-efficiency particulate absorbing filter) every month. But, if you feel that the performance, like the suction power of your Dyson vacuum, has degraded, it might be due to a blocked filter after excessive usage. Then, cleaning the Dyson vacuum filter periodically will help improve its performance and maintain it properly.
This step-by-step instruction guide will help you wash different types of Dyson filters with ease. Sometimes, cleaning the vacuum filters might not resolve the issue, so you can follow some extra steps to solve the problem of Dyson vacuums being efficient.
How Frequently Should I Clean A Dyson Filter?
As mentioned above, your Dyson filter might need a thorough cleaning every month. It is also advisable to replace your Dyson vacuum filter every year. However, this also depends on how frequently you use it.
If your Dyson vacuum cleaner has more than one filter, then you must clean them all together for smooth operation and better performance of your appliance.
Cleaning Dyson filters isn’t hard and the following guide will help you do it seamlessly. Having a clean Dyson filter is important to effectively trap dirt and debris, collect dust, and remove bacteria and other particles contaminating your floor.
How To Clean Dyson Animal Filter
What Is A Dyson Animal Vacuum?
A Dyson Animal vacuum has two washable filters that might never need replacement. It is advisable to wash the filters every three months or more often to keep the Dyson Animal vacuum performing at maximum operating efficiency.
One big difference between the Absolute and Dyson Animal is that it comes with an additional ‘soft roller’ cleaner head that is perfect for cleaning hard floors.
Step-by-Step Guide To Cleaning Dyson Animal Filter
- Remove your Dyson filter(s) from your device.
- Tap your filter(s) slightly on the side into the sink or bin to loosen and remove the extra dust and debris trapped inside.
- Rinse and wash filters properly with cold or slightly warm water.
- Shake it firmly to get rid of the excess water.
- Let it dry for more than 24 hours before you fix it back.
- Put it back and test the device.
How To Clean A Dyson V11 Filter?
What Is A Dyson V11 Vacuum?
Dyson V11 is one of the top-rated stick vacuum cleaners in the market. It is known for its high efficiency and performance.
Step-by-Step Guide To Cleaning Dyson V11 Vacuum Filters
- Unplug your device and remove the filters.
- Wash them with lukewarm water.
- Examine the filter for any debris and remove it.
- Let the washable filters dry for more than 24 hours and wipe the exterior parts with a clean cloth.
- Put the filters back and check if the device is running properly.
How To Clean A Dyson V6 Filter?
What Is A Dyson V6 Vacuum?
The Dyson V6 cordless vacuum cleaner is an entry-level cordless vacuum, but a powerful one. It is efficient and very light to handle and use. Use the following steps to clean V6 filters with ease.
Step-by-Step Guide To Cleaning Dyson V6 Vacuum Filters
- Remove the filter: You can detach it by unscrewing them and lifting it out of the vacuum. If your model has two filters, remove both of them.
- Clean the dirt and dust: Hold the filter down over a trash can, and tap lightly to remove the loose dust particles and larger debris. Tap gently so that the debris doesn’t come out suddenly and spill over.
- Wash with water: Rinse it under cold tap water and rub gently to let the coated dust wash away. It is advisable not to use any soap or detergent as it might harm the filter.
- Clean residue dirt: Check if there is residue dirt and again wash with water and shake it off to red rid of the excess water.
- Dry completely: Let the filter dry for at least 24 hours. Touch with your fingers to see if any part feels damp.
- Check your device: When it is completely dry, put the filter back into the vacuum and screw it into place. Check if your device is working properly.
How To Clean A Dyson V7 Filter?
What Is A Dyson V7 Vacuum?
The Dyson V6 and V7 almost have the same dimensions with some basic differences in their height and weight. The Dyson V7 is both heavier and taller than the V6 Dyson machine.
Step-by-Step Guide To Cleaning A Dyson V7 Vacuum Filter
- Remove the filter: You can simply lift it out from the top of the device or you can refer to the manual as well.
- Shake extra dirt: Tap the filter quickly to shake off the extra particles on it.
- Wash the filter correctly: Soak the filter in cold water. You can also let the water run through the V7 filter till you see clear water coming out.
- Drain and Dry thoroughly: To drain, squeeze or twist it carefully. You might have to clean it more often if you are using it in the ‘powerful suction’ mode. Let it dry on its side for at least 24 hours.
- Check your device: Place it back and ensure that it is in the proper place. Plug in and check your device.
How To Clean A Dyson V8 Vacuum Filter?
What Is A Dyson V8 Vacuum?
The Dyson V8 comes with two filters:
- A pre-motor filter in the middle of the cyclone assembly
- A post-motor filter behind the motor
Both of these filters are washable.
Step-by-Step Guide To Cleaning A Dyson V8 Vacuum Filter
Steps to clean the pre-motor filter:
- Pull out the pre-motor filter.
- Rinse under running water. Do not use a scrubber as it might damage the filter material. Remove the excess water by shaking.
- Wait for it to dry thoroughly before reattaching it to the vacuum.
Dyson recommends cleaning the filters once a month. If you use your device frequently, check periodically for dirt accumulation.
Steps to clean the post-motor filter:
- You can remove the top part of the filter using a blunt tool. Gently push the clips holding it.
- Twist the filter counter clockwise to unlock and remove it.
- Rinse under running water to remove any dirt and debris.
- Shake well to remove the excess water and let it dry completely before reattaching.
The post-motor HEPA filter needs to be cleaned less frequently than the pre-motor filter. The Dyson cyclones are good enough to keep dirt particles away from the filter.
How To Clean The Vacuum Filter On A Dyson Ball
What Is A Dyson Ball Vacuum?
The Dyson Ball Animal 2 pet vacuum cleaner is good for cleaning carpet fibres to capture dust, dirt, and animal hair. It contains two washable filters and both need to be clean to keep them unclogged.
Step-by-Step Guide To Cleaning A Dyson Ball Vacuum Filter
- The first filter is located on the top of the cyclones.
- Detach the dust canister and press the latch to access the tubular filter.
- Rinse it under cold running water until the water runs clear, squeeze out the excess water, and let it dry.
- The second filter is located inside the ball itself.
- Lay the vacuum on its back and unscrew the side of the ball.
- The filter will have a foam ring and an outer shell. Separate them and wash them separately. Rinse again with cold water, but do not squeeze dry this filter. Let it dry for at least 24 hours. A wet filter clogs faster, allows bacteria to grow, and water can get sucked into the motor.
Dyson recommends cleaning both filters of the Ball Animal 2 at least once every month for best results.
Why Is The Dyson V10 Not Working After Cleaning Vacuum Filter?
If your Dyson V10 is still not working properly after a filter clean, you need to check if the filter unit is attached correctly or not. The machine’s filters might still be wet or the motorhead might not be starting up after sucking in water from the wet filter.
There could be blockages somewhere else other than the filter which you need to clear. The filter might have worn out due to excessive wear and tear and needs replacement. You might have to dismantle the whole device to figure out the actual issue and take necessary action.
Why Is The Dyson V11 Not Working After Cleaning Vacuum Filter?
The common causes that stop the working of a Dyson V11 are similar to the issues faced by a V10. From clogged filters to blockages, it can be anything minor that you resolve yourself. For complex issues like problems with the circuit board, etc., you might need professional help.
For a better shelf life, long-lasting batteries, and improved suction power, you can follow some useful tips for Dyson V10 and V11 vacuums:
- Unplug your device after every usage.
- Check the cleaning mode before each use and change it accordingly if necessary.
- Store your Dyson vacuum at room temperature.
- Remove and clean the reusable filter regularly. Clean brush roll periodically for trapped hair, etc.
- Buy a vacuum stick with the cleaning surface in mind.
How To Change A Dyson Vacuum Filter?
Most Dyson filters are durable, but after using them for several years, the filter starts to look frayed or worn out. In that case, the best solution is to change the filter. You can purchase an appropriate replacement filter from your model from Dyson or buy from a local vendor as well.
Why Should I Change My Dyson Vacuum Filter?
You might have to replace your Dyson vacuum cleaner filter if
- Your vacuum cleaner gets clogged frequently and even after regular cleaning.
- The Dyson filter is not filtering properly, resulting in increased dust emissions.
- The vacuum cleaner has a foul smell even after cleaning and makes weird noises.
- The Dyson vacuum battery life has reduced considerably.
Steps For Changing A Dyson V6, V7 and V8 Filter
These vacuums have two filters: a pre-filter and a post-filter. You can follow the steps below to replace both filters.
- Unplug your device.
- You will find the pre-filter on the top of the dust canister, which you can pull out.
- Put the new filter back in the same position properly.
- Unscrew the post-filter located at the back of the device.
- Put the new post-filter back in the same position.
- Plug in your device and check it it is working properly.
Steps For Changing A Dyson V10 and V11 Filter
These have only one filter. You can follow the steps below and replace the filter very easily.
- Disconnect the device.
- Turn the rear of the device counter clockwise to release the filter.
- Fit the new filter in place.
- Plug in your device and check if it is working properly.
Steps For Changing A Dyson Ball Animal 2 Filter
- Turn off and unplug your device.
- Remove the canister from the vacuum.
- Lift the handle called ‘filter’ and pull the filter out of the canister.
- Place the new filter in the right place.
- The second filter is located in the ball. You have to unscrew the ball by rotating the wheel.
- Rotate the filter attachment until it releases.
- Replace the old filter with a new one and rotate it, until it sits back in place.
It is not too difficult to figure out how to clean Dyson filters because the process is quite similar for different models. Whichever appliance you have, it is important to keep the Dyson filter clean as much as possible to ensure that your device is performing well.
Lack of cleaning might be an issue hindering performance, which you can easily resolve by cleaning the vacuum filters regularly. However, for any other technical problems with your device, you must contact the manufacturer (if under warranty) or a local professional for help.