Shark vacuum cleaners might be the best in the world, but they sometimes malfunction or stop working. The first thing that the company’s customer care or tech expert will ask you to do is reset the machine. So you may be wondering, how do I reset a Shark hoover?
You can easily give your Shark vacuum a factory reset by pressing the power button for 10 seconds – and then restarting the machine. Doing so will likely restore the machine or any faulty functions and fix the problem.
Let’s learn a little more about how resetting your Shark vacuum cleaner can be helpful.
What is A Factory Reset in Shark Vacuum Cleaners – and Why Should You Do It?
A factory reset or hard reset is a way of restoring your Shark vacuum to its original state. It regains the default settings and configurations as manufactured by the factory, which helps in fixing minor glitches.
Resetting the vacuum cleaner can help solve hardware problems in the motor, thermostat, and brush roller. And it works in both corded and cordless models. But a factory reset doesn’t just help with malfunctioning parts.
The reset process can also help with software or functionality issues in Wi-fi connection, mapping, Shark app connectivity, and more. These are more common in a more complex smart device like the Shark Ion Robot Vacuum Cleaner that saves settings for future use.
When Should You Reset Your Shark Vacuum Cleaner?
Your Shark vacuum cleaner may develop a problem. And it may scare you enough to rush to the nearest service centre.
But before you take an expert opinion, resetting the machine is a good idea. You can rest assured that you’ll get the advice to do the same before taking further troubleshooting steps.
There are many common problems that you may face. It can be anything from Shark vacuum error lights flashing for no reason to the Shark navigator not working properly.
You can also try restarting the Shark vacuum if you see these issues before trying the hard reset and other methods.
How to Reset Shark Vacuum
When you hear the words factory reset, you may feel intimidated. But the good news is it’s a super-easy process that doesn’t need you to dismantle the machine or update the software.
Here’s what you need to do to reset your vacuum if it has a problem –
- Find the reset button of your Shark vac. If your vacuum model doesn’t have one, the power button will act as the reset switch.
- Press the button and push it for 10 seconds before releasing it.
- Wait for another 10 seconds and turn the machine on.
That’s all you have to do to achieve a factory reset of your Shark!
If you own a Shark vacuum that connects to Wi-fi, like the Shark Ion Robot vacuum, you can use the Shark app for the factory reset. You’ll need to choose the option from Setting in the phone app.
Here’s a video that demonstrates the reset process properly.
Resetting the Shark vacuum can is the basic step when you face issues with the Shark vacuum motor, the Shark vacuum brush roller, Wi-fi connections, etc.
What Should You Do If A Factory Reset Doesn’t Work?
While a factory reset can solve many problems, it may not fix all issues. In that case, you should do the following –
- Check the physical parts if the machine does not provide good suction while cleaning the floor or in carpet mode – or if it makes noise or gets stuck.
- Look for damage, dirt and debris buildups, and pet hair in the Shark vacuum brush roll, hose, motorized floor nozzle, wheels, and more.
- Take a look at the filters and the dust cup of the Shark machine. Ensure that the parts are clean and working properly. Also, check the Shark vacuum motor.
- If you find that there is no need to clean or replace the parts, check if the setting is correct.
- Check the power cord for damages if the machine is not turning on or getting turned off frequently. Also, make sure to plug it into the power source properly.
- If the schedule function of your Shark vacuum doesn’t work, ensure that the time set on the machine is correct.
- If the thermostat indicates overheating, turn the machine off and unplug it. Then, remove clogs and dirt from the filter, hose, dust cup, etc., and wait for 45 minutes.
- If you see a problem with the Wi-fi of the Shark vacuum, turn it off for 10 seconds and unplug the router for 60 seconds. Then, turn them on and reconnect them.
These standard methods should solve problems in older models and smart devices if resetting doesn’t help.
We hope the above troubleshooting tips will help you bring your Shark vacuum back to its working condition. But you may find that the vacuum isn’t working correctly even then. If you face the same problem after the factory reset, check its other parts – or consult an expert.
Is resetting the Shark vacuum the same as restarting it?
Most Shark vacuum cleaners have a separate power button and reset button. You can restart the machine just by pressing the power button as a quick fix for glitches to bring it to its last working condition. But a factory reset means pressing the reset or power button for 10 seconds to return it to the original default condition.
How do you reset Shark cordless vacuum?
Cordless Shark vacuums do not have a reset button. In that case, you will have to use the power switch of the machine. You can trigger the factory reset by pressing this power button for 10 seconds. For instance, in the absence of the Shark DuoClean reset button, you must use its power button.
How do I reset a Shark Navigator?
The Shark Navigator vacuum is a lightweight hoover that’s easy to use. To reset the machine, you must press the power button down for 10 seconds and release it. Once you restart the machine after that, your Shark Navigator will be restored to its default settings.